Friday, May 2, 2014

A Book A Day {Day 2} & Math Literature Organization

Day 2 here I come!


Today as I was thinking about what book to post, I went to my stash of math literature. While earning my Masters degree, I took a class based on connecting math and literature. I received a bunch, I mean a BUNCH of different books that have math connections through that class.  

When you have that many books, organization is always needed. I decided to use the system that my instructor uses for her books. FIrst you need to get a box of different colored folders. I used the cheap paper folders and they work just dandy. Each color is then assigned a topic.

Blue = Numeration & Operations
Yellow = Geometry
Green = Measurement
Black = Graphing
If you want, you could break it down even more by standard and strands.

Label the folder with the title of your book, put your book inside one pocket, and put any extra resources in the other. Viola! Everything you need in one place and could even be an excellent activity for a substitute.

Now on to the book for today…

The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns


This is a great book to introduce polygons. However, you can also use it to look for relationships between the number of sides, angles, and vertices in a polygon. As my kids and I read it, we filled out this worksheet & activity that I found for *FREE* on TeachersPayTeachers. I was late on finding this so we weren't able to actually use the marshmallows and toothpicks. Next time! I really like the column that has the kids think of example of that polygon. It's always a good thing to make connections with students' prior knowledge.


Do you connect literature and math? 
I plan on sharing more math books throughout the month of May!


S.Udy

No comments:

Post a Comment