Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tried It Tuesday: Color By Number for Big Kids


I only have a 2 more Tuesdays after this one (yay!) but I thought I'd link up for the first time. 

(I'm still not sure how to make images links.)

I was able to work with Kristine Nannini from Young Teacher Love in the editing of one of her products. That was a first and pretty exciting for me! I love that Facebook and blogs have allowed me to connect with people all over. Being in Alaska, sometimes I feel a little secluded as times don't always line up due to time zones. However, I decided to try out her Color by Number for Big Kids with my fourth graders.  

I set the stage for my kids by saying that we were going to try something new. I had an activity created by a teacher from Michigan. The kids were pretty excited to be working on something created by a teacher from a different state.

We used this as a review and actually took a couple of days to complete this. I only have my math lesson group for about 45-50 minutes and I have some major behaviors that I must stay on top of when presenting a new activity, especially when it allows for a little more freedom. I chose two of the different sets (there are bunch to choose from depending on what standard you want the kids to work on) and made the copies. Instead of making them task cards, I made 3-4 copies of each set onto a different color and then used a ring to keep each copy set together. 

(Sorry for the fuzziness of the photo. I must of had a smudge on the lens I didn't notice.)



I then split my kids into 2 different groups. The common core language is still new to my students, so I chose the 2 sets that I felt they would be able to do on their own fairly easily. I allowed to them to move and work with someone that was working on the same set.

They were able to check their answers and color their picture based on the color by number guide. I was really excited about trying this out that I didn't think through some of the management and flow like I should have.  Next time, I think I am going to have them try to color their picture before they get to actually check their answers. That way, they have will have a chance to go back and fix their answer before looking at the key to check their work.


This group worked on Set D.



I loved this idea and product! It was a nice break from the grind of our normal day to day routine, but it was still practicing valuable math skills. 

*S.Udy*

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how something as simple as coloring can motivate the students? I'm going to have to try out this product since I might be back to teaching math next year. Thanks so much for linking up! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I finally had the chance to check this out! I love your idea of keeping the pages together with a large ring and then color coding the pages! I am SO glad your kids enjoyed this, and of course I appreciate your help more than you know!! Thanks so much again!

    ReplyDelete