Friday, May 23, 2014

Five for Friday: School's Out!






My kiddos know me so well. This is the perfect card for me as I adore piggies! I was definitely showered with love by the kids. I received quite a few hugs from students I never would have expected it from!






We had our Initial Program Overview on Wednesday. We had to add an extra day due a snow day, so the district made it a PD day instead of a student contact day. This way they were able to give us a little bit of time with our new math program. There are definitely mixed feelings at my school. We are having to give up Saxon, which they have been doing since um… forever. I am not as tied to Saxon as others and I'm looking forward to working through chapters. Every program has its quirks but I'm hopeful about this one! 
If you have any insights to Go Math, please comment and let me know! 




On our last work day, the 5th grade team got together and we put together our class lists for next year. I am super excited about it because now I am able to think about the students I have when planning during the summer! I have a generally idea of who is going to be in my homeroom, reading and math classes. It's going to be a great year as I loop up with my kids from this year!





I get to spend more time with this adorable, little munchkin! This is on our walk #tothemailbox!



This is what happens when you get a frisbee stuck in a tree at family night at the fire station! My hubby is the one operating the ladder on the main truck.

4 comments:

  1. Your daughter is adorable! I am so excited to be able to spend this upcoming summer with my daughter as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We have to enjoy the time we have! :)

      Delete
  2. I adore piggies too!!!!!! We switched to Go Math several years ago from Saxon. There was a LOT of heartburn when making the switch. It was very difficult for parents and I've found in the past two years, it's easier not to send any of it home for homework. It's better to just do the extra work in class so the kids are able to ask questions and I'm able to help them and give them feedback immediately. Will you be using the Common Core version?
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray for piggies! :)
      Thanks for that insight! I know that we are going to be talking as a staff so that we are consistent on what goes home for homework. We are a school that always sends homework for both reading and math. We are going to be using the Common Core edition even though AK didn't adopt CC. I think that we will have a 75-90 minute math block for our lesson and fact fluency. That should give us some flexibility in what we do in the classroom. Thanks!

      Delete